Tuesday, December 31, 2013

What I'm Into [December 2013 edition]

It's been a while since I linked up with HopefulLeigh because I've barely had time to post these past few months. I'm coming in late anyways, but I figured I'd write something short.

This month I got to come home after 135 days in sunny California. It's still hard for me to believe the semester is over, though I've already started practicing next semester's music and reading books for the next semester. In some ways it feels like I wasn't even gone, and then I remember everything that happened at school this semester and I know it's been ages since I was home.

This month I'm working on Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics and Tolstoy's Anna Karenina for schoolwork. We studied Joshua, Deuteronomy and Leviticus, and Hebrews for session. I read The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley on my way home and am currently working on Annie Dillard's The Maytrees before I start The Book of Merlyn by T.H. White. I managed to total a rough estimate of the books that I read this year and if I include my Torrey books (including each book of the Pentateuch + Joshua + Hebrews) I finished around 50 books this year. I also managed to post around ten poems, though I think if I was to go back and total all those that I wrote they would be something more like twenty.

Month in review:


  • I registered for next semester's classes and started homework and practicing for them already! 
  • Saw a stunning one-man stage adaptation of C.S. Lewis's The Great Divorce and heard Dante and Milton references I'd missed before.
  • Gave my first college recital: Mozart's Sonata in E minor for violin and piano.
  • Attended a carol service at church of the Epiphany instead of sticking around Biola for the tree-lighting ceremony
  • Submitted my Torrey paper for the second time 
  • played my first round of juries. I had both violin and piano juries in the same day, and then went out to dinner with some friends afterwards to celebrate.
  • Played Christmas chapel and two Christmas Concerts for orchestra
  • Had my Torrey final, ("Don Rags") which is thirty minutes of conversational examination. I managed to pull through and finished my first semester of Torrey with a better grade than I'd hoped for! Now only seven more semesters to go. 
  • Attended a sing-along Handel's Messiah concert at the Disney concert hall with Rachel and Aliza:

  • "family" dinner with friends the last Sunday at Biola, and the best picture we ended up with from the whole semester was this, in classic "awkward family photo" posing:
  • Said goodbye to friends, had two poetry breakfasts with Aliza in one week, and spent a day with Rachel before she flew to Australia.
  • Played two graduation ceremonies, packed my bags, and checked out of my dorm
  • Stayed a day with a friend's family before heading home.
  • Ran through the airport to catch our flight and made it just in time for final boarding.
  • Celebrated Christmas two days early with my family, and then we drove to Peoria for Christmas eve and Christmas day with extended family
  • Returned in time to have dinner and coffee with Demi and pick up Geri to go sledding
  • Got to take a walk in the forest preserve again, one of the places I missed most keenly this semester:

  • Celebrated Christmas with my mom's side of the family and got to see cousins again!
  • Helping my aunt and grandma plan a wedding shower for my sister
  • Playing a New Year's Eve service tonight for my first time back playing at Community Fellowship.
What an incredible month and year this has been. It really has been wonderful despite being a really difficult at times, and I am so thankful for the grace of Christ who promises that "All shall be well, and all shall be most well, and all manner of thing shall be well." May we remember it always in the year that is to come. 

Most popular posts of the year are: 
The most popular post of the month was Aliza's poem Seeds.

Here's to hoping you all had a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your New Year's Eve. 
May we all know more fully the love and grace of Christ Jesus in the year to come.

head back over to HopefulLeigh's for more December What I'm Into posts!

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go to a Handel's Messiah sing-along. So fun. What a great month you've had!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...