Friday, August 30, 2013

What I'm Into [August 2013]

     What a whirlwind month it has been! I've hardly posted at all, I am sorry, but I'm back with some pictures and stories, so hang tight. I'll warn you though - I didn't read hardly any books this month, or watch hardly any movies. Instead I moved across the country....




so, here's what I've been up to this month:
    August marked the sad end of my teaching at home and I said my goodbyes and had some really wonderful time with friends before leaving for Biola. I got to have a first-ever sleepover with one friend, and breakfast with another who moved far, and a surprise visit from one friend. I said goodbye to my college group and they prayed for me, and I said goodbye to my neighbors whom I babysit for and my students.
    On Monday, August 19th, I took a 9:25 flight to the LAX airport where I was picked up by Torrey sophomores (known hereafter as "seers"). The adventure begins!

here's what I'm loving so far about Biola:


  • My Torrey group! Due to music conflicts I had to change groups two days into Torreintation, and even though it was difficult I love my group. They are passionate, excited and so welcoming - even though we often eat meals together or study together we usually bring friends or roommates with us who don't belong to Torrey. They welcomed Rachel and I with open arms when we had to switch from Austen to Homer and I am so thankful for them!
victory!! Homer with our Seers

Homer!

  • the beach - I've been to the beach twice since being here, once for Torreintation and once for orientation. The first time it was a bit too cold between the water and the wind to swim much, but on Monday I went in the water twice and it was really nice. I sat with Paige, one of the girls from my cohort, on the jetty and we read for a while and talked about the Iliad while enjoying the sunset. I didn't bring my camera, but I did get these pictures with my phone: 







  •  Being outside often. I have yet to have experienced a cloudy day and because my dorm is on the outer edge of campus, I walk at least a minute or so to classes. I love being in the sunshine so much, though I am wishing for some cooler weather.
  • my room! It is way bigger than I expected and I have more space than I anticipated or even need at the moment. This is my side of the room:

 my dresser under the window:


  • My view! We have a beautiful tree outside our window: 

  Unfortunately, when you get closer you get this not-so lovely view:


The construction is loud and has woken me up several mornings. I've learned not to try and sleep with the window open.

  • Having friends that are in Torrey and the music program. Rachel, who is in my cohort is in two of my music classes, and my orchestra. There are a good handful of other Torrey students who are in music as well and it's nice to see familiar faces around the music building and in my classes.
  • My mentor. Each Torrey student is assigned to a professor as their mentor and I love mine. He sent out a seven page letter for the beginning of the semester which was helpful and really nice. I think I'll really enjoy working with him. 
  • Torrey honors! I know I've talked a great deal about it, but I'll try to explain a little better. Torrey Honors is a great books program that is divided into two houses: Morgan and Johnson. I am in Johnson house. Within each house there are four cohort groups, I started in Austen and changed to Homer. Class consists of two 3-hour sessions each week, where a tutor will open session with a question and the group will discuss for the remainder of the three hours from the text. We had our first session on the Iliad yesterday, and I love the intense conversation. This semester we'll be reading Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, Virgil's Aeneid, Dante's Inferno, Paradise and Purgatory, Milton's Paradise Lost, Ovid's Metamorphoses, Spenser's Faerie Queene, the Pentateuch, and Hebrews. It's a crazy schedule, but I'm excited to read and study so many books in depth!
  • the worship: between Torreintation worship, chapels, and a worship night I was able to attend, I have been blown away by the worship services here. I attended an SMU (Student Missionary Union) worship night last night and though the group was quite small, it was amazing to worship with them and be blessed by the incredibly intentional night that the SMU staff had planned. 

     This semester I am in Torrey, Sight-Singing and Dictation I, Keyboard Sight-reading I, and Concert Music, plus private violin, piano, chamber music and orchestra. My schedule doesn't feel too stressful, but I am taking 17 credits total, so we'll see how the semester goes.

     I did manage to read two books this month: Surprised by Oxford (Carolyn Weber) and some Lord Peter stories (Dorothy L. Sayers). I loved Surprised by Oxford and wish I could have had room to bring it with me so I could think over it. It was a gift from a friend and I am so glad she thought of me because I will certainly be re-reading it and passing it along! I needed some light reading before I left so I got a collection of Lord Peter stories from the library and managed to finish all except the last one before I left. The final story was one published posthumously however, so I'm counting it as finished. ;)

     I was quite remiss in updating my blog this month, however, my July What I'm Into post was the most popular of the month, so if you're interested, I read a lot more books in July than I did this month!

I'm linking up with Leigh Kramer again, head over to her What I'm Into post for more!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks! It's been a great two weeks, I'm excited for the next four years!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sunset pictures! Hope all continues to go well at Biola. Since you enjoyed Surprised by Oxford, you'll be excited to learn that Caro's next book comes out soon. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'll have to keep an eye out for her new book, thanks for the heads up!

      Delete
  3. I love all this back-to-school stuff! Dorothy L. Sayers is one of my favorite writers and I'm always so pleased to see another reader discover her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. any other Sayers suggestions? I'd love to read some of her non-fiction stuff.

      Delete
  4. Loved the school pics - it sounds wonderful! (Oh, how I loved college). Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear that you are enjoying college life so far.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...