Tuesday, May 14, 2013

shaken together, running over

Annie Dillard says that life is made up of pennies; that if out of our simple poverty we can delight in the smallest things, then we can build for ourselves a wealth of days out of our poverty. The world is planted in pennies; small things which cheer and encourage, which build up.
 
                    They are words, and they are images, they are trees turning before the fading sky, they are violets in the grass.
 

"He hath never failed thee yet,
Never will His love forget.
O fret not thyself nor let
Thy heart be troubled,
Neither let it be afraid."
~Amy Carmichael


"And for me, I've realized that I used to be afraid of failing at the things that really mattered to me, but now I'm more afraid of succeeding at things that don't matter."
~Bob Goff

 
 
 



"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup;
you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me
in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."
~Psalm 16:5-6
 
"Freedom is the world's water and weather, the world's nourishments freely given, it's soil and sap: and the creator loves pizzazz."
~Annie Dillard

 
"Joy, which was the small publicity of the pagan, is the gigantic secret of the Christian."
~G.K. Chesterton
 
"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well. No matter what. That, I think, is the affirmation behind all art which can be called Christian. That is what brings cosmos out of chaos."
~Madeleine L'Engle


"And from His fullness we have all received, grace upon grace."
~John 1:16
 

"Awake, my soul and sing
Of him who died for me..."
~Matthew Bridges
 







      "I adopted Michelangelo's motto several years ago. He said 'Critizie by creating.' I get frustrated when I see the church criticizing by criticizing. Why don't we make better movies? Why don't we write better books? Why don't we start better businesses? Why don't we criticize by creating? I just think we ought to be more known for what we're for than what we're against. We ought to beat the enemy at his own game, and that means we ought to be shrewd as snakes."
                     ~Mark Batterson
"Like the dawn, you woke the world inside of me..."
~Maggie and Tyler Heath

"I have stretched cords from steeple to steeple, garlands from window to window, chains fo gold from star to star, and I dance."               ~Rimbaud
 "O love is the crooked thing. There is nobody wise enough to find out all that is in it."
~William Butler Yeats
"This is the truth of the pervading intricacy of the world's detail: the creation is not a study, a roughed in sketch; it is supremely, meticulously created, created abundantly, extravagantly, and in fine."
~Annie Dillard

"This then is the extravagant landscape of the world, given, given with pizzazz, given in good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over."
~Annie Dillard
 
Revel in the extravagant beauty of the world, in the small intricacies, in the enormous majesties.
Today is the day that the Lord has made,
may we live it as purely as we can,
may we live it in the present.
May we rejoice in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...