Friday, March 29, 2013

What I'm Into (March 2013)

     It's the end of March. Seriously. March is over in three days. This is shocking. It still feels like February outside (although it's maybe supposed to be over fifty degrees today!)
My month in review:

Bookwise:


This month I didn't have as much time to read, due to not spending so many hours in airports and on airplanes (thank goodness), but I did manage to finish a few books.



  • Out of the Saltshaker and Into the World by Rebecca Manley Pippert was my first finished book of the month (I actually finished in on March 1st, ironically.) I'm not one to read books about evangelism, but I would highly recommend this book! It has come up in many conversations over the past months.
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson was by far my favorite book of the month. It is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. This book is written as letters from an aging father (who is also a pastor) to his young son, and definitely worth the time to read. I finished this book and promptly went to look for it at Half Price Books so that I could own it. I'm buying this one!
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a young-adult cancer book, so I was a bit wary, but, like many of my recent reads, I found a recommendation via Modern Mrs. Darcy, and decided to read. Warning: this book will make you cry. (I have to include that. One time I gave my sister a book that made me sob, and didn't warn her. She was in the backseat of the car on the way to my grandma's house with my whole family when she finished it. And she definitely cried. So now I include a warning. "This book will make you cry. Don't finish it in public!") But it was an honest and beautiful look at the toll of cancer in a young girl's life, and not in a sappy way.
  • The Kodály Context by Louis Choksy

I'm currently in the middle of The Suburban Christian, East of Eden, and Uncommon Decency. My goal is to finish at least two of those, and read a few more this month. I've also been reading Christina Rossetti sonnets, and let's just say that my Rossetti poetry book is never leaving my possession. Ever. It's just too good.

 

TV & Movie-wise


     I'm still not watching much TV, but I did catch up on two episodes of Once Upon A Time (while wondering why I still bother). I did, however, watch a handful of good movies and mini-series, so in case you are curious:

  • BBC's Bleak House (2005). This is the only screen adaptation of one of my favorite Dickens's books that I have seen, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Gillian Anderson was a compelling Lady Dedlock, and Anna Maxwell Martin played a lovely Esther Summerson. There were a few characters that I was sad they didn't include, but they most definitely did the story justice. My sister's complaint was that she couldn't tell any of the men apart, Mr. Guppy, Mr. Woodcourt, Mr. Kenge, and Richard all looked a little too similar to her, so for someone whose never read the book, it may be a bit confusing.
  • BBC's Emma (2009). I enjoyed the Gwyneth Paltrow version of this story, but this Emma far outshone the 1996 movie. The focus on Emma's character development made the four hours totally worthwhile. It was easily broken into two nights of watching, and I would highly recommend it. I might end up buying this one.
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010). I watched this on Wednesday night per my sister's request, as she's been reading the books. It was terrible. Don't waste your time.
  • I've been addicted to the Lizzie Bennet Diaries lately, and I'm almost caught up. Though I am not sure I agree with all of their interpretations of events in the book, the story is masterfully told, especially for a youtube vlog series. I've been laughing out loud and almost crying sometimes while watching these lately.

Music-wise



My favorite new music this month is The Gray Havens. I heard about them from a friend who attends
the same church and is friends with the husband and wife team that make up The Gray Havens. Their first CD is currently free on NoiseTrade, and even though I wasn't convinced upon first listen, I'm hooked. Check them out!


Favorite Links


On friendship: All Friendships Are not Created Equal, and That's Okay from Joy-Filled Days
On our perception of God and unity in the church: Blow Up the Boxes from my friend Erica at It Began with Love
On Easter: Is Easter a Pagan Celebration? from our pastor at Just a Thought
On Modesty: How Modesty  Campaigns Objectify Women: Part One and Part Two
On Social Interaction and Stress: The Great Social Experiment from Whole9
On the idea of a God-shaped hole: God-Shaped Hole from How to Talk Evangelical 

Teaching-wise


     Tuesday I had another group class, and this one went even better than the last. We played Call-it, and Musical Shout it Out, used Joy Morin's Music Period Lapbook pages to learn about the different periods of music history, and each student performed a piece.
     My favorite teaching tool this month has been having students step the beat and vocalize the rhythm, or clap the beat and vocalize the rhythm. It solidifies the sense of inner pulse more than simply clapping or playing with the metronome. 
    It's duet time, and I've been working with several students on playing duets with each other. They're struggling on their first time playing duets, but I'm proud of the hard work they are putting in.

On the blog


I've been blogging my way through Holy Week in a combination of scriptures, poetry, and prose:
1. Palm Sunday
2. Monday
3. Tuesday
4. Wednesday
5. Maundy Thursday
6. Good Friday
7. Saturday
8. After Tenebrae: a Song of the Passion

The most popular post of the month was What Mumford & Sons and Jane Eyre have in common.

For more March What I'm Into posts, head over to HopefulLeigh, where I'm linking up today.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVED that adaptation of Bleak House! One of the very few (if only) good Dickens productions. Anything scripted by Andrew Davies is a sure thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised by how well they maintained the essential parts of the story. I was definitely worried that it wouldn't do the book justice, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise!

      Delete
  2. LOVED gilead, & East of Eden is my favorite Steinbeck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any chance you've read the companion to Gilead? I think it's titled "Home" or something like that. I found out that it exists, but I'm a little wary to read it, just because I loved Gilead so much!

      Delete
  3. I loved The Fault in Our Stars! It definitely requires a crying-warning but it's so well done. I hope you'll enjoy East of Eden. The first 100 pages didn't really hook me but a friend encouraged me to persevere and I'm so glad I did.

    I became a Rossetti fan in college! I haven't read her stuff in ages. I should track a book down. Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Everyman's copy of Rossetti poems and I love it. It's so little that I can bring it with me places, and it's nicely divided into sections, lyric poems, sacred or spiritual poems, narrative poems, sonnets, etc.

      I'm sort of surprised that you weren't hooked in the first 100 pages of East of Eden - the day that I started it, I ended up 150 pages in, which surprised even me. I'm excited to see how he will end it!
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...